Heartland Farm Mutual Inc. formed in January 2016 from the merger of North Waterloo Farmers Mutual and Oxford Mutual. These two parent companies bring together a combined total of more than 250 years of experience serving rural Ontario’s insurance needs. We continue to offer trusted protection for home, agribusiness, auto, farm, and commercial business, while supporting local communities in the Mutual tradition. The shared values of North Waterloo and Oxford Mutual remain intact and are at the very foundation of Heartland Farm Mutual. We look forward to building on our legacy and growing even stronger together.
North Waterloo Farmers Mutual (founded June 9, 1874) and Oxford Mutual (founded by the amalgamation of two farm mutual insurers in 1973) had independently conducted strategic reviews to create a plan for the future in a changing and challenging mutual insurance industry. Both companies determined that joining forces with a similar company was the best way to secure their future. After considering a number of potential partnerships, it became increasingly obvious just how similar corporate cultures, strategies and operations were between North Waterloo and Oxford Mutual. The opportunity for a merger offered several advantages:
- More choice for brokers and clients as the product portfolios are combined and new products and services are added
- Improved capacity to invest in the information technology that is coming to dominate the industry and can help the company offer more and better products and services
- Greater long-term financial security
- A lower expense ratio
- A stronger Minimum Capital Test, used by regulators to measure financial strength
- Increased growth potential from increased share of the existing market territory and possible expansion to other parts of Ontario and Canada
- Increased gross written premiums, providing a larger financial base
- The same number of employees and the expectation that it will increase as Heartland grows
- The ability – and commitment – to continue to contribute to local communities
Heartland Farm Mutual has an annual written premium of over $100M, with more than 50,000 policies province wide.
As a Farm Mutual Company, we are proud to maintain strong community-based roots, and are active supporters of Ontario’s agricultural industry.